Using Automatic Setup
1. Select your language on your new iPhone or iPad with your new and current devices in close proximity.
2. Tap Continue on your iPhone or iPad on the popup that appears asking you to set up your new iPhone or iPad with your Apple ID.
3. Use your current iPhone or iPad to scan the image that appears on your new iPhone or iPad.
4. Enter your current iPhone or iPad’s passcode on your new iPhone or iPad.
5. Set up Touch ID on your new iPhone or iPad.
6. Choose whether or not to restore your new iPhone or iPad from your most recent compatible backup, if that option presents itself.
7. Choose to restore your new device from an iCloud or iTunes backup, set up as a new iPhone or iPad, or transfer data from an Android device.
8. Agree to the terms and conditions.
9. Tap Continue under Express Settings to use the settings for Siri, Find My iPhone, Location, and usage analytics that were transferred over from your current iPhone and iPad.
10. Complete the setup process for your new iPhone or iPad as you normally would.
1. Open Settings on your old iPhone.
2. Tap the Apple ID banner.
3. Tap iCloud.
4. Tap iCloud Backup.
5. Tap Back Up Now.
6. Wait for the backup to complete before proceeding.
You can now set aside your old iPhone. Make sure that your new iPhone is off when you start these next steps.
7. Depending on how much data you have to re-download, including music and apps, it might take a while for the transfer to complete. Stay on Wi-Fi as much as possible to speed up the process.
8. Insert your old SIM card into your new iPhone if you want to move it between devices.
9. Turn on your new iPhone.
10. Slide up or press the Home button depending on which device you’re setting up.
11. Follow the directions to choose your language and set up your Wi-Fi network.
12. Tap Restore from iCloud backup.
13. Sign in to your iCloud account (This is your Apple ID).
14. Tap Next.
15. Tap Agree.
16. Tap Agree again.
17. Choose the backup you just made.
1. Make sure you’re running the most recent version of iTunes.
2. Plug your old iPhone into your Mac or Windows PC.
3. Launch iTunes.
4. Click on the iPhone icon in the menu bar when it appears.
5. Click on Encrypt Backup; you’ll be asked to add a password if this is your first time encrypting a backup.
6. Click on Back Up Now.
7. Wait for the backup to complete before proceeding.
8. Put your SIM card into your new iPhone (if it didn’t come with a new or different sim card).
9. Turn on your new iPhone.
10. Plug your new iPhone into your Mac or Windows PC.
11. Slide to set up on your iPhone.
12. Follow the directions to choose your language and set up your Wi-Fi network.
13. Select Restore from iTunes backup.
14. On iTunes on your Mac or Windows PC, select Restore from this backup.
15. Choose your recent backup from the list.
16. Skip Backup Apps, if asked. (they’ll likely re-download anyway.)